Sunday, September 16, 2007

Why no WiFi?


Ok, some folks emailed in asking why I didn't comment on how the iPhone has WiFi and my Treo doesn't and that kicks ass over the Treo.

I didn't comment on it because my Treo has EVDO and doesn't need WiFi as a backup network to its carrier service.

Listen, I covered this before. Let's review, shall we?

1) Edge sucks. Edge is slow. But Edge is mobile. (lose/win)

2) EVDO is fast. EVDO is mobile. (win/win)

3) WiFi is fast, but WiFi is fixed. (win/lose)

We're talking about a MOBILE phone. Slaving to a short range, fixed high speed network makes no sense at all.

Sure, in my house and at my office my iPhone has access to WiFi, but in those spots my MacbookPro is handy, so why would I bother with the iPhone? On the road, I'm not going around looking for WiFi hotspots. Life is too short to go on a scavenger hunt for high speed data when networks exist already that are high speed and mobile.

Got it? Good. I don't want to hear about this again. ;-)

No comments: