Saturday, September 22, 2007

Should I stay or should I go?


Today's the day. Two Saturday's ago I got an iPhone and as I said, I gave it a 14 day trial and now I'm to the conclusion of the trial and I need to decide if I'm going to keep it, or return it and pay the restocking fee.

For all of my criticism, I'll say that its a very cool device. VERY cool.

But I'm all about functionality, and the iPhone comes up short. I don't have much need for the iPod part of it, the touch keyboard still annoys me to no end, but there's this little part of me that really likes the device and its uber coolness.

I can't get over the fact that mail does NOT sync. What an easy thing to do that would be such a big thing for Mac Mail users.

On the plus side - my gripes are all software related, and Apple can fix these. I suppose I could just keep it and wait for the firmware updates to roll out...

But no, it just doesn't offer any increased functionality over my Treo 700p. So I'm going to return it today and wait for the second generation iPhone.

Don't get me wrong - I like it. I WANT to like it even more! And I know the iPhone can be way more than what it is in its current form. I think Apple did a heck of a job on the first version of the iPhone, but its not enough to get me to switch off of my Treo.

I was looking for the iPhone to be an extension of my MacBookPro. It has all the makings to be just that, but the software comes up short. It's almost if Apple assumes that iPhone customers are NOT going to be Mac users. Yeah, I know that sounds strange, and we all believe that the majority of the iPhone owners ARE mac users (and I think that's a safe bet) but wouldn't you think that the umbilical cord between the iPhone and Mac would be better? More mature? And, dare I say, actually useful?

So, back in the box it goes.

UPDATE : The return process was easier than buying the iPhone in the first place! I was expecting this to be a drawn out affair, but all told, it took about two minutes. I was impressed! I also had to call AT&T to cancel the service, and the guy on the phone was super nice, and genuinely interested in why I brought the iPhone back (they don't have a lot of that going on). Kudos to AT&T on this experience. ;-)

No comments: