Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Self inflicted distractions


This morning driving to work, the roads sucked. We got about 5 inches of snow overnight and combined with the low temps, the roads were super slick and you really had to concentrate on keeping your car stable with the black ice in the single digit temps.

I was completely amazed at the number of folks who were talking on their cellphones - so much so that I kept track of the numbers, and roughly 30% of the people I passed were chatting on their phones....without headsets. (and if you are going to get a bluetooth headset - can I recommend the Jawbone?)

Now, I'm ok with talking on a phone while you drive as long as you have a headset on - after all, what's the real difference in talking to someone on the phone, or someone sitting next to you in the car. But taking one hand off the wheel in conditions like this to chat on the phone? Not smart.

Take a look at the things you do daily at work or in business. Are you choosing to do things that take your eye (and mind) off of the ball? For me, I'm guilty of this, and I really try to be mindful of it such that I have a "parking lot" of written ideas to work on when I have the time.

Concentrate - stay on the road and keep your business on track. ;-)

No comments: