Thursday, August 2, 2007

The best things in life are free


I've lived my entire life on the water. Its part of my lifestyle and has shaped me in ways I still don't realize. As long as I'm not on the road for work, I get to view a killer sunset almost every night (depending on the weather). I can be in the middle of making dinner, working on my laptop, etc. and I can just sense that its time for sundown and I'll break away from whatever I'm doing to go check it out. Sometimes we even call down the road to neighbors for "sunset alert!" if its a REALLY good one.

Living on the water has everyone connected to not only the sunset, but also WHERE the sun sets throughout the year. I take special delight in the spring when the sunset breaks away from the shoreline to set over the water and the sun marks the heart of summer when it sets past the lighthouse that sits mid bay to the west of us.

There's something really special to be ON the water at sunset. The calm and serenity is really overwhelming and sometimes it can almost take your breath away. The water colors are amazing in contrast to the show in the sky and reflections in the clouds.

I often comment to friends and family at sunset that "the best things in life are free" and really, they are. You just have to take time to look around you and take it all in. No ticket or invitation needed. Just open your eyes.

No comments: