Sunday, August 5, 2007

The lull before the gust


For the past two months I've enjoyed a record amount of downtime. I've restricted my travel to just personal and have successfully avoided business travel for a record two months back to back for the first time in about four years.

This reprieve from business travel is about to come to an end and while I look forward to getting back in the saddle and hammering on business development, I'm going to spend my last week here with family, friends and lots of quality time on the water.

My first trip is to visit a new customer, finalize the relationship and announce it to the industry as the first of many big moves for MailFoundry this fall. Then I kick into trade show/sales mode and it looks like I'll be on the road every week until next May for Interop Las Vegas. A long run for sure, but I'm all charged up and ready to rock.

I really can't wait to get out, press the flesh and evangelize our story to those that I meet. I love meeting with current customers to see how they're using MailFoundry and their experiences with the platform. I want to know what they love about it, hate about it and where they want to see the product go in terms of its continued evolution.

In sailing, gusts of wind are usually preceded by lulls, and the larger the lull, the larger the gust will be behind it. Good sailors know how to read the wind and are prepared for the changes in speed and direction and they'll react without even thinking about it to maintain proper trim of both their craft and sails. I always look for gusts when I'm sailing because I'm usually already overpowered with a sail that's a tad too big for the conditions. I like being lit up when I'm sailing and that next gust might wipe me out, but it also might make the next jump even higher...

This downtime has set the stage for one heck of a 10 month gust for me.

I can't wait. Bring it on!

(got a few emails asking - yes that is me in the pic)

No comments: