Friday, February 1, 2008

I'm going tapeless in 2008

I thought I'd love my Canon HV20 that I got before Christmas. It works great, but amazingly I've never sat down, hooked up the firewire and pulled any video off of it. Why not? Because its a pain in the butt.

Instead, I just use my Sanyo Xacti or Canon SD750 instead. When I'm ready to import the video, I don't need to sit through the painstakingly slow import process. I just plug in the camera and iPhoto imports the data at, well, data speeds. Not tape play speeds.

At CES, Canon announced a new family of handheld HD video cameras that have built in 16GB storage and a SD slot for more. (HV20 pictured here) SD cards are now 32GB and 64GB cards are just around the corner. I'm all over these cams. They're well priced, no tape mechanism to break, wear down and chew on battery life and with recording direct to memory, importing is quick. Oh, and you'll never accidentally record over existing footage either. (If you've ever done that before with your tape camera - raise your hand. Ok, you can put them down now) I knew I wanted one, but when I got to fondle one at MacWorld, I fell in love. I pushed $1000 of tightly rolled $100 bills at the booth dude, but to no avail. I'll have to wait like everyone else.

So, I'm gonna get the new Canon HF10 as soon as its available.

Anyone want a never used, brand new HV20 HD video camera? I'll even toss in some extra tapes. ;-)

No comments: