Monday, December 17, 2007

Why pay when its free?


Dash has finally announced pre-order availability for its Dash Express GPS unit. Its pretty nice looking (yeah, it looks like every other unit out there) but Dash comes with a subscription of $13/month for its data services for traffic, gas prices, etc.

Now, I think this is a cool unit. (here it comes, you know its coming) BUT....

I would NOT go into a business like this where your competitors are FREE. The Dash Express is essentially a dedicated Google maps appliance with a built in network. If you have a smartphone (and if you don't have one, you will soon), then this unit is redundant for you as Google Maps works on just about all smartphones out there.

Granted, Dash did it right, but the competition isn't other GPS's out there (same goes for you Garmin and Magellan), the real competitors to devices like this are the smartphones. GPS isn't just about navigation in your car. Its about personal navigation regardless of how you are mobile.

I kinda want a unit like this, but I can't bring myself to carry another device in my bag when my Treo does 90% of the same thing. (still waiting for that GPS+Google Maps tie in)

No comments: