Friday, August 1, 2008

The best reviews money can buy


Vallywag just ran a little piece about how (gasp!) you can buy your way into a Gartner "Magic Quadrant" report.

Sorry boys, no news here. This has been going since, well, since reviews and analyst reports were invented!

People ask why MailFoundry hasn't been in big magazine reviews or in the analyst reports. Simple - we didn't pay for them.

These reports are 100% advertising - no bones about it. And while we do a lot of advertising, we don't (usually) do these sorts of things. Why? Because the bulk of our market doesn't read them.

Yup, you heard me. And yes, its true. Don't get me wrong, its not like people don't read these things, but the part that does are a small section of the total market.

Now, I'm not sure how much credibility people put into these things when they read them - I know how much I do; none.

I'd much rather read about actual customer experiences with products/services and that's where a lot of our base groundswell marketing has focussed on over the years.

No comments: